Ebenezer Blackwell (1731-1782) Lives at ‘The Limes’ in Lewisham High Street. A close friend of John and Charles Wesley, he was a partner in Martin’s Bank. He married Mary Eden the niece of Reverend William Louth, the Vicar of Lewisham and was Treasurer of St.Mary’s Church at the time of the rebuilding 1774-1777.
Originally there were copper inscriptions on the obelisk but unfortunately these were stolen in the 19th century and not replaced. He and his wife Elizabeth also frequently hosted Wesley at ‘The Limes’ The affection of Charles for the Blackwells is evident in the extended funeral hymns he wrote for both of them.
Ebenezer Blackwell was one of John Wesley’s most trusted friends from as early as 1739. Blackwell helped finance many of Wesley’s charitable efforts.
‘The Limes’ with its extensive garden was one of the largest houses in the High Street The house was demolished in 1894 and St Saviour's Roman Catholic Church built on the site in 1909.