Research and notes by Julian Watson
This guide also works on a smart phone or tablet. Load this page when visiting.
The present church was built 1774 - 1777 to the design of George Gibson on the site of earlier churches. Gibson's design incorporated the tower (1471-1512) of the medieval church.
The chancel, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield, was added in 1881 when the nave was re-modelled in Victorian style. Major re-ordering took place from 1995.
Click/tap the numbers on the plan of the church or churchyard to view each point of interest.
or download smartphone app
St.Mary the Virgin, Lewisham Lewisham High Street SE13 6LE
St.Mary the Virgin Lewisham
346 Lewisham High Street
SE13 6LE 020 8690 2682
Memorial to Margaret Colfe
Simple memorial to the remarkable Margaret Colfe, née Hollard or Holland (both spellings were used by her family), widow of Jasper Valentine a Lewisham tanner. She and Jasper had a son, Richard Valentine.
Margaret died in 1643