Select View


Heritage Trail

Research and notes by Julian Watson

5 1 3 2 4 6 7 8 9 10 11 13 12

Gallery

Ground floor

14

This guide also works on a smart phone or tablet. Load this page when visiting.

The present church was built 1774 - 1777 to the design of George Gibson on the site of earlier churches. Gibson's design incorporated the tower (1471-1512) of the medieval church.

The chancel, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield, was added in 1881 when the nave was re-modelled in Victorian style. Major re-ordering took place from 1995.



5

Click/tap the numbers on the plan of the church or churchyard to view each point of interest.


Entrance

15
16

   or download smartphone app

St.Mary the Virgin, Lewisham Lewisham High Street  SE13 6LE

St.Mary the Virgin Lewisham

346 Lewisham High Street

SE13 6LE   020 8690 2682


Contacts

The Fire 1830

C.1876 photo of the interior & apse. (A.R. Martin Collection Lewisham Local Studies Library)

A fire seriously damaged the church on Boxing Day in 1830. The interior and structure of the church was seriously affected and many of the early records were destroyed or damaged. Despite the damage a full restoration of the building was completed. The photograph below probably taken c.1876 shows the interior just prior to the re-ordering in 1881. The ceiling can just be glimpsed and the small rounded apse is clearly shown, as are the box pews, and the original position of several of the large and important monuments.