Rebuilt probably in the 15th century the medieval church was a small vernacular building with its floor some 10 feet lower than that of the present building. There was a double roof over the nave and aisle, a decorated ceiling and a tiled floor. A few monuments from the old church survive in the present church
notably those to Margaret Valentine (the wife of Rev. Abraham Colfe), Rev. George Stanhope, and a small brass to George Hatteclyff who died in 1514
An eighteeenth century drawing of the south front of the medieval church just before its demolition. (A.R. Martin Collection Lewisham Local Studies Library)
The Medieval tower before the church was pulled down in the eighteenth century
The tower, made of flint, rubble and Kentish Ragstone, was a later addition to the medieval nave and chancel. Built between 1471 and 1512 it was funded by bequests from members of the congregation.
(A.R. Martin Collection Lewisham Local Studies Library)