Select View

Heritage Trail

Research and notes by Julian Watson

5 1 3 2 4 6 7 8 9 10 11 13 12


Ground floor


This guide also works on a smart phone or tablet. Load this page when visiting.

The present church was built 1774 - 1777 to the design of George Gibson on the site of earlier churches. Gibson's design incorporated the tower (1471-1512) of the medieval church.

The chancel, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield, was added in 1881 when the nave was re-modelled in Victorian style. Major re-ordering took place from 1995.


Click/tap the numbers on the plan of the church or churchyard to view each point of interest.



   or download smartphone app

St.Mary the Virgin, Lewisham Lewisham High Street  SE13 6LE

St.Mary the Virgin Lewisham

346 Lewisham High Street

SE13 6LE   020 8690 2682

View of the nave looking East

An extensive programme of building work began in 1995. The beautiful, re-ordered chancel with its new altar was consecrated in 1996. Since then further work has been completed: a ramp for people with disabilities, a new Sacristy, an office in the south gallery, a kitchen in the south porch, and the creation of a meeting room with separate kitchen and toilets in the crypt. Work continues to restore and make safe the fabric of the church.

Registered Charity

Number 1182343