A fire seriously damaged the church on Boxing Day in 1830. The interior and structure of the church was seriously affected and many of the early records were destroyed or damaged. Despite the damage a full restoration of the building was completed. The development of Lewisham from a large eighteenth century village to a London suburb was one of the factors in deciding to enlarge and alter the building. The nave was completely re-ordered and a large chancel, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield, was added. George Parker of the adjoining Lewisham House paid for the nave, and the Earl of Dartmouth for the chancel.