The development of Lewisham from a large eighteenth century village to a London suburb was one of the factors in deciding to enlarge and alter the building. The nave was completely re-ordered and a large chancel, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield, was added. George Parker of the adjoining Lewisham House paid for the nave, and the Earl of Dartmouth for the chancel. The great Victorian civil engineer Sir John Aird commissioned some of the mosaics in the chancel. The photograph shows the restored chancel after World War II. The stained glass windows by A.L.Wilkinson were installed between 1952 and 1954.