Select View


Heritage Trail

Research and notes by Julian Watson

5 1 3 2 4 6 7 8 9 10 11 13 12

Gallery

Ground floor

14

This guide also works on a smart phone or tablet. Load this page when visiting.

The present church was built 1774 - 1777 to the design of George Gibson on the site of earlier churches. Gibson's design incorporated the tower (1471-1512) of the medieval church.

The chancel, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield, was added in 1881 when the nave was re-modelled in Victorian style. Major re-ordering took place from 1995.



5

Click/tap the numbers on the plan of the church or churchyard to view each point of interest.


Entrance

15
16

   or download smartphone app

St.Mary the Virgin, Lewisham Lewisham High Street  SE13 6LE

St.Mary the Virgin Lewisham

346 Lewisham High Street

SE13 6LE   020 8690 2682


Contacts

Church Silver All on loan to the Victoria & Albert Museum

Flagon English. 1646

Inscription:

‘Given to the Parish Church of Lewisham at Easter A.D.1686’

Use the pointer or buttons to rotate


Alms Dish  - English. 1685

Communion Cup - English Inscribed ‘Lewisham Church A.D. 1806’

Photography: Steve Jones

Baptismal Bowl - Silver  London 1735                        Inscribed                   

‘The gift of Thos. Hawtree of Deptford to the Parish of    Lewisham in Kent 1735’

V& A Museum

This dish was used in Russian Orthodox worship to hold the consecrated bread distributed in the Eucharist. Its centre is engraved with Christ as the sacrificial victim between two angels. The inscriptions are in Old Church Slavonic, the liturgical language of the Russian church. Silver, parcel-gilt, Moscow, 1688-9


Alms Dish, in Gothic style, Silver-gilt, made by John Hardman and Co, probably designed by A.W.N. Pugin, 1864-1865. Pugin probably designed this dish for Henry Drummond of Albury Park in Surrey, for whom he worked in 1848 and 1851. However, it was made after Pugin’s death. It recalls brass dishes exported from Nuremberg in the 16th century. The church acquired the dish in 1885, and the engraved arms are those of the diocese of Rochester.

Standing Paten  English 1718

The 1646 Flagon

Communion Cup -  English, 1684  Inscribed ‘Given to the Parish Church of Lewisham at Easter A.D.1686’

Strainer Spoon -  English. Circa 1723  Knife - English. London 1833

0%