Rev. George Stanhope Became Vicar of Lewisham in 1689 aged 29. He remained Vicar until his death in 1728. He rebuilt the Vicarage at his own cost in 1692/3. He was also Vicar of St Nicholas Church, Deptford (1702-1728) and also Dean of Canterbury, 1703-1728.
Of the very Rev George Stanhope D.D.
38 years Vicar of this Parish and 26 of
The neighbouring Church of Deptford
Dean of Canterbury A.D. 1703
And thrice Prolucutor of the Lower House
Whose piety was real and national
His charity great and universal
Fruitful in acts of mercy and in all good works.
His learning was elegant and comprehensive
His conversation polite and delicate.
Grave without Preciseness, Facetious without Levity
The good Christian and solid Divine
And the fine gentleman
In him were happily united.
Who, tho’ amply qualified for the Highest
Honours of his Sacred Function
yet was content with only Deserving them
In his Pastoral office a pattern to his people
And to all who shall succeed him in ye care of them.
His Discourses from the Pulpit
Were equally pleasing and profitable
A beautiful intermixture of ye clearest Reasoning
With ye purest Diction
Attended with all the Graces of just Elocution
As his works from ye Press have spoke ye Praises
Of his happy Genius, his love of God and man
For which Generations to come
Will bless his Memory
He was born March ye 5
He died March ye 18, 1727
Aged 68 years.
19th century photo of Lewisham Vicarage, Built by Stanhope in 1692/3.