Research and notes by Julian Watson
This guide also works on a smart phone or tablet. Load this page when visiting.
The present church was built 1774 - 1777 to the design of George Gibson on the site of earlier churches. Gibson's design incorporated the tower (1471-1512) of the medieval church.
The chancel, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield, was added in 1881 when the nave was re-modelled in Victorian style. Major re-ordering took place from 1995.
Click/tap the numbers on the plan of the church or churchyard to view each point of interest.
or download smartphone app
St.Mary the Virgin, Lewisham Lewisham High Street SE13 6LE
St.Mary the Virgin Lewisham
346 Lewisham High Street
SE13 6LE 020 8690 2682
John Thackeray 1776 -1851
Thackeray was a wealthy benefactor to Lewisham and Christ Hospital where he went to school. In 1840 he built and endowed Thackeray’s almshouses in order to provide rest for ‘Six aged females’. Panels at the base of the monument depict the almshouses and Christ Hospital. His home was ‘The Priory’ a large house built in the gothic style with extensive gardens, now the site of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, 428 Lewisham High Street.
The photograph of ‘The Priory’ shows the river which ran along the front of the house and the length of the High street, unintentionally drained when a sewer was built.